Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:10:29 -0400
From:      David Banning <david+dated+1239556238.8602df@skytracker.ca>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        David Banning <david+dated+1239553110.eb108f@skytracker.ca>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid

Tim Judd wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:18 AM, David Banning
> <david+dated+1239553110.eb108f@skytracker.ca
> <mailto:david%2Bdated%2B1239553110.eb108f@skytracker.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I get this error when I attempt to run acroread8;
>
>     /compat/linux/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries:
>     /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6: ELF file OS ABI invalid
>
>     I get the impression maybe acroread is attempting run a linux binary
>     using a freebsd library - but I am not sure if this is so, or how
>     to fix
>     it. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>

> This looks like a Linux ELF file branding problem.
>
> google://linux+elf+branding

but /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6 is the freebsd library, which it -is- branded;

# /usr/local/lib
# brandelf libc.so.6
File 'libc.so.6' is of brand 'FreeBSD' (9)

Acroread probably needs   /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
if it is running as linux  - acroread itself is a shell script. My
thought is now to locate the binary that is executed and see
what it is brandelf'd as, but when I study the acroread script
I cannot appear to find a binary referenced.