Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:50:13 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Manuel Kasper" <mk@neon1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, "'Howard Jones'" <howie@thingy.com>
Subject:   Re: Guide to reducing FreeBSD (a.k.a miniBSD :)

Also, don't forget that you can gzip the kernel if you're using
/boot/loader during the boostrap process.  This gains back a
noticable amount of space "for free."

I also build all the binaries to be dynamically linked; this is a
big space savings as well.  My original target was an 8MB compact
flash disk, and this was the trick to getting it to fit.  I was less
worried about things getting corrupted as the system runs with
the root filesystem mounted read-only.

The current setup that I use is a 32MB compact flash card, with
two slices.  I alternate between them so I can always easily revert
to the previous version if something bad happens when doing an
upgrade.

louie