Date:      Sun, 25 Dec 2011 07:09:26 +1300
From:      Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial consoles

On 12/25/11 04:45, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2011, Matthew Luckie wrote:
>
>> However, when I use cu on the laptop:
>>
>> sudo cu -l /dev/cuaU0 -s 9600
>>
>> I never get a login prompt. If I press enter, the cursor scrolls down.
>> Likewise other characters echo back. I'm reasonably sure that I'm
>> connected to the appropriate com port on the server because if I plug
>> it into the other com port and press enter, nothing happens.
>
> Might there be something else on the server using/trying to use that com
> port at the same time, like apcupsd?
>
> Running cu on the server (after resetting the config) would allow
> manually typing characters to see if they come out of the right port.

Thanks for your reply, Warren.

I do run apcupsd, though it uses a usb port for communications with the
UPS and is configured to do so.  I turned apcupsd off in rc.conf, as
well as commented out the getty line for the port, and rebooted the
system.  Then, I used cu on the server and found characters were sent
both ways over the serial cable.

I then added the /etc/ttys entry back and rebooted.  When I used cu on
the laptop it behaved as before -- i.e. no login prompt.  If I tried
using cu on the server, it timed out after about 10 seconds and said
"link down".

Any further tips?  I've put the server's apcupsd.conf, /etc/rc.conf, and
dmesg.boot at

http://www.wand.net.nz/~mluckie/apcupsd.conf
http://www.wand.net.nz/~mluckie/rc.conf
http://www.wand.net.nz/~mluckie/dmesg.boot