Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:57:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Keith Stevenson <keith.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas concerning fsck

> > We can get around the need for fstab by using the bootfs idea that AIX and
> > others use (Poul-Henning has suggested this also in connection with DEVFS)
> > to get less magic in the boot sequence.
> AIX does use fstab.  IBM just cleverly renamed it "/etc/filesystems" and
> completely changed the format.  This file is consulted as part of the boot
> process.

I made no claim wrt that. The reference to "less magic in the boot
sequence" was related to discovering the boot device and such. And
it would be possible for us to remove the need to rely on the root
filesystem being uncorrupt.

> The bootfs idea is pretty neat.  I would like to see it implemented in
> FreeBSD, especially if it would make vinum disks usable for the / filesystem.

I use this whenever I do vinum based solutions, by having a minimal root
filesystem as a memory filesystem, then starting vinum to be able to bring
up the real root filesystem.

Marius