Date:      Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:59:10 -0400
From:      Nat Lanza <nlanza@premodern.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/85503: panic: wrong dirclust using msdosfs in RELENG_6

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Even on very fast storage media, fsck would take for ever and you
> wouldn't be able to run it in parallel.

This is not a bullet-proof assumption -- there are certainly distributed
filesystems out there which implement parallel fsck already, and I
expect the number of them to only increase with time.

It's not realistic to implement >4G files on a local-disk filesystem
anytime soon, but there are already users who expect to be able to do so
on distributed / clustered systems.

--nat