Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:28:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VFAT/? Problem

> > It is a warning of a non-standard MSDOSFS configuration, nothing more
> > or less.  It shows up to "warn you".  8-).
>
> It may be a "non standard MSDOSFS configuration" but in my case it is a
> normal MSDOS configuration. I have a 200 MB primary DOS slice, the FreeBSD
> slice (2.8 GB) and a 1.1 GB extended DOS slice. I always get the warning
> when I mount the last DOS slice.
>
> I've never used FIPS or other slice reduction programs.

But you did pick something other than "use maximum possible space"
when creating the DOS partition (clearly, if it's near the end of
the disk, it's not likely to do the "minimal cluster size" right on
the expected boundary.

The use of extended DOS slices postdates the mtools release from
which the warning algorithm was derived.

Really, the slice code needs to change to a hiearchical model, and
the MSDOSFS code needs rewritten.  Removing the message before the
code is otherwise rewritten would be a mistake.  Consider the message
going away as "payment" for doing the rewrite.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.