Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:57:32 -0600
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.3 issue: new ICMP handling broke date(1)

Now that an ICMP port unreachable returns ENETRESET and not ECONNREFUSED,
setting the date on the command line results in a bogusly-reported error.
Before you fix the bug in date/netdate.c, it tends to report EADDRINUSE;
afterwards it tends to report ENETRESET.

Why did the handling of "udp port unreachable" have to change?  ECONNREFUSED
was a perfectly fine return value for that.  I'm reasonably sure that
there are other programs out there that think that ECONNREFUSED is what
you get when you get an ICMP port unreachable back after a UDP send,
so I doubt that the answer is to simply fix date(1).

  Bill