Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 13:37:04 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Binary-only ports -- where to put README, CHANGES files?

Hi,

  I decided to follow Satoshi's lead in having created the binary-only
'netscape' port, and create ports for 'vat', 'wb', and 'sd', the conferencing
tools from LBL.

  Now, deciding where to put the binaries and the man pages is easy.  But
there are examples that need to be installed as well (like "vat.tcl", the
reference for what tcl code is compiled into vat).  The Netscape port
creates /usr/local/lib/netscape; I'm not sure I want to create
/usr/local/lib/{vat,sd,wb}.

  In addition, I would really like to be able to stick stuff in
/usr/share/skel, since there is a bug in 'vat' that can be worked
around by a ~/.vat.tcl in everyone's home directory.  But I know
that the root filesystem is off-limits to ports.

  Any suggestions on either front?

Thanks,
  Bill