Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 15:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fastest possible FreeBSD system?

  As far as CPU and memory bandwidth, what is the fastest possible freebsd
system?  I thought it should be the PPro 200 with 512k onchip cache.  I
heard some talk that a 233mhz PPro will be available soon.

  How much difference is there between the PPro 200 with 256k of onchip
cache, or 512k of onchip cache?  The price difference is quite
substantional, but I haven't seen any performance data on the two.

  The new K6/200 looks interesting.  I guess it runs at an 83mhz external
clock rate, which would improve the memory/io bandwidth somewhat.  How
much cache does the K6 have?

Tom