Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:28:16 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOSIX on FreeBSD

as usual you are very well informed,

In message <200103290440.f2T4e5d01602@mass.dis.org>you write:
}> I thought that FreeBSD was associated with BSDi now.  I wonder if
}> something could be worked out because I do not think that BSDi is doing
}> anything with the MOSIX code.
}
}I wouldn't be expecting BSDi to be doing very much of anything with
}FreeBSD right now.  However, this situation has been discussed several
}times before, and the bottom line is this:
}
}The MOSIX developers want (need) money.  They will port MOSIX anywhere
}that you are willing to fund them to, and maintain it for as long as
}you're willing to fund them to.  The MOSIX port to BSD/OS is very out of
}date, and probably not worth using as a reference anymore.
}

it's based on BSD/OS 3.0, and it can't be distributed.

}If anyone's going to make this work, they either a) need to find a fair
}slab of money (I seem to recall the MOSIX people asking for a six-figure
}sum for the port) or b) a few developers and a deal of free time to do
}the work.
}
}No amount of begging or pleading or saying "it should happen" is going to
}do it, unfortunately. 8)
}

I just spoke to the principal developer/owner of MOSIX, and he confirmed all
the above. Basicaly, it has to be re-written, and he wants his team to
be remunerated.

danny