Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 23:30:08 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken loader?

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 12:04:39PM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > My guess is that the newly imported FICL 2.05 + the forth stuff we use
> > at boot got too big for the space allocated for the dictionary on the
> > alpha. This happened to me when using my more comprehensive stuff
> > instead of the standard stuff on the i386. Reason why I made commit to
> > remedy this.
>
> Daniel this is not the first time you've screwed the Alpha users with
> loader commits/upgrades.  Once was forgivable, twice is frankly quite
> unforgivable.  You have once again _wasted_ a significant amount of your
> fellow developer's time.

Actually, I do not recall having screwed alpha users on any other time.
I recall FICL stuff not working on alpha at all at the beginning,
because of memory problems, and loader getting screwed on alpha by
someone else with a non-ficl related change that also pushed it over the
memory limit (though ficl was a suspect at that time, because the bug
_manifested_ itself only when it got to ficl).

> I want the backing of Core that NO FICL upgrades or major .4th changes
> can be committed until they have been tested (compiled and booted) on all
> platforms.  I really don't think I would be allowed to upgrade the
> toolchain if it had only been tested on Alpha and x86.  I fail to see why
> something as important and fundamental as the loader (and harder to
> replace if you FUBAR it and loader.old) should be any different.

Whatever.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com