Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:12:36 +0200
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        Konstantin Vasilev <kvasilev@cellnetrix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox 3.1.6 does not work under i386 kernel

<aoyama@peach.ne.jp>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am working on making VirtualBox 3.1.6 after releasing FreeNAS 0.7.1.
>>> I found VirtualBox 3.1.6 does not work under i386 kernel.
>>> It seems PNG library is not used correctly in VBoxC.so.
>>> However, I don't know how to correct it by smart way.
>>> Also I cannot test it under X11.
>>>
>>> Could you test my patch under X11 + i386 kernel?
>>> Before patch, you will get like this:
>>> [aoyama@freenas225 ~]$ VBoxManage list vms
>>> Sun VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 3.1.6_OSE
>>> (C) 2005-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>>> All rights reserved.
>>>
>>> ERROR: failed to create a session object!
>>> ERROR: code NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED (0x80040154) - Class not
>>> registered (extended info not available)
>>> Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or failed to
>>>
>> start.

>>> After patch, you should be able to use VirtualBox 3.1.6.
>>>
>> That sounds similar to PR ports/145457 but I could not reproduce that
>> yet.
>> Could you try the patch from the PR and see if it works for you?
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/145457
>>

> I try this patch  and it dosn't work for me. But under X11 vbox works
fine.

Okay then could you please send the patch that solved the problem for you?
None of us could reproduce this yet so I'm not sure if it is caused by a
bad png update or if it really is a problem that needs to be addressed.

You could build vbox with debugging enabled and try to manually launch
VBoxSVC - that should give you better output of what went wrong.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/