Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:11:27 +1300
From:      "Matthew Luckie" <kluckie@ihug.co.nz>
To:        <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        "Jim King" <jim@jimking.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Interesting plight

additionally, are you sure you explicitly followed the instructions exactly
as given in the handbook.  I have updated from 4.2-release to stable myself
and it works like a dream.

make sure that /usr/obj as empty as the handbook suggests, and that you do a

make buildworld
seperately from a
make installworld

following that, re config your kernel makefile directory as laid out in the
handbook using the new version of config, and then do a

make depend
make
make install

in your kernel compilation area (something like)
/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/{kernel name}

these instructions arent my any stretch of the imagination complete, but if
you follow the instructions as laid out by
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html you should be fine.

as an aside (and not directed at anyone), i'm surprised at the number of
people that mail the stable list quoting updating the system as 'make world'
make world went out a while ago, and while it may still work fine, the
handbook says
make buildworld
make installworld

so thats what I use and recommend.