Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 17:58:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, perlsta@sunyit.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, capriotti@geocities.com
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

> > Actually, a commercial X server vendor volunteered a free 640x480
> > X server for FreeBSD to use in this kind of install about a year
> > (maybe more?) ago, and was flatly turned down.
>
>   Really?  I don't recall that.  I remember that no one had a graphical
> install tool, and running sysinstall in a window would be cheesy :).

Yes, really. 8-).

> Also, XFree has a generic 640x480 server too.

But it's large, and works on less hardware than the free 640x480 would
have (EGA, Hercules, in addition to VGA).

> > In any case, as I pointed out in my last message of this subject,
> > you can get the same benefits without X -- my Windows 3.1 installer
> > example still stands, I think.
>
>   sysinstall bites, but unless someone rewrites it, not much will change.
> As far as I know, Jordon has been talking about this for a while...

My point was not that the current install bites; it's that for less
work than an X install, you can probably have the benefits that
people associate with graphical installs.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.