Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 12:07:25 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: Lite-On PNIC (fwd)

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > You're proposing to provide Bill with examples of -all- the different
> > > varients of the Tulip cards and enough hard drugs to keep in in the state
> > > of mind required to do the work?
> >
> > I was actually planning on just feeding the non-Digital-based cards to
> > Bill, as most of them are cut-downs.  We're certainly more than happy
> > to facilitate providing hardware to developers, especially ones with
> > track records like Bill's. 8)
>
> You didn't say anything about the hard drugs. :)

Send me your PGP key first.  Remember I'm a furriner in this country;
the're watching me.  8)

> > It almost certainly would be.  The problem is that the 'de' driver is
> > (meant to be) maintained by Matt Thomas, who has been extremely quiet
> > of late (due to a move and other things).  We've supplied Matt with
> > hardware in the past (eg. a Macronix card a month or so back), but his
> > an almost unmaintainable mess.
>
> Humm... My experience with Matt has been rather good but the last time I
> talked to him re: the de driver was about 3 years ago when I was trying to
> get a Znyx 314 card to work.

Matt's very much dedicated to the 'de' driver; he's just very
employable and thus very busy.

> In all likelyhood the multi OS nature of the de driver is what is causing
> the most problem.

That and the fact that it's grown organically without having been
designed for it.  I remember way back when it was first imported, it
was neat, clean and easy to follow.  Kinda like the 'ed' driver, only
worse.