Date:      12 Jul 2002 12:06:52 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Listening to users [was Re: Package system wishlist]

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
> Really?  Believe it or not, I've formerly (and currently) developed on
> SGI and Sun machines, along with IBM, HP, DEC, Motorola, Intel, NCR,
> Unisys, Sequent, CCI, Arete/Arix, and even Radio Shack UNIX-ish
> machines, and I strongly prefer FreeBSD to any of them.

Agreed.  I've used SGI, Sun and Digital systems for both fun and
profit in the past, and will choose FreeBSD over them any day of the
week.  It's a far more comfortable development environment, and
locating, installing and configuring any third-party tools I might
need is far easier than on any commercial Unix I know of.

Anyone who thinks IRIX, Solaris or Tru64 have better hardware support
than FreeBSD is losing sight of the fact that they are designed to run
on a very limited and tightly controlled range of hardware, while
FreeBSD will run (with a little effort) on practically anything you
throw at it, within reason.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org