Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:24:20 +0100
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg problem after aout->elf

Jon Hamilton wrote:

> allows me to update to the latest ported versions "for free" anyway - with
> one minor hassle: anything with a.out libraries can't be removed with
> pkg_delete, because the packing list still thinks the libraries live
> in e.g. /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/aout.  Of course,
> I can use pkg_delete -v, find the complaints, and remove the offending
> libs by hand, but it occurs to me that it might be nice to update the
> packing lists during ``make aout-to-elf''.

I did that updating (updating from 2.2.* to 3.0) myself a few weeks ago.
I just did a pgk_delete -f to force the removing of the package, leaving
the old a.out libs in their compat directories. I wouldn't dare to
remove them, as I have quite a lot of self-compiled software that might
use them.

ciao
  lutz
--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.