Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:07:00 +0100
From:      Bill Squire <billsf@curacao.n2it.nl>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone use nullfs or unionfs ?

Hi,

Nullfs works fine on the high-end amd i386 machines, but is rather 'thrashy'
and inefficient on amd64. Is this a hardware bug or is there a patch to make
it work? I'm redoing the whole 'jail' concept on FreeBSD and have received
funding for a project that will be 100% open source. I would like to use
amd64's but if nullfs doesn't work right, I can't. It doesn't work right on
top-of-the-line Intel machines either.

As for unionfs, it would be very nice if it truely worked. It seems to not
be able to deal with very large overlays. Do I need to hack or is someone
doing that now. Duplicated efforts are a waste.

These are facinating fs concepts and I'm surprised nobody(?) sees them
as I do. We are in beta test now and code will be posted soon on my
site. I own a percentage share of a provider and it seemed necessary to
keep quite for a year to avoid being 'jumped' by the competition. Many of
my papers and those of friends on <http://cuba.calyx.nl/>; have been used
in successful commercial applications, some 'closed source'. :(  Fortunately
papers on cracking 'digital watermarks' and 'CSS' have been widely deployed
in open source projects. That was offtopic -- just want to know about
nullfs or unionfs on amd64.

Bill