Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:36:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kris Kirby <kirbykb@airnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good nameserver system?

On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 10:36:22PM -0400, Kris Kirby wrote:
> What would be a good system for making a nameserver? I'm guessing P-200 or
> better and PPro-200. This would be a FreeBSD system, running named or a
> faster nameserver. And a 500M-2GB disk cache.

Are you planning to run a name server for a large network provider,
including a large number of secondary servers?  Then you might be on
the right lines.  I've always found that an old 386 with 8 MB of
memory does a pretty good job.  My name server, the primary for my
domain, uses about 1 MB of data.  In the last two days, it has used 22
seconds of CPU time on a P5/133.

Greg