Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:23:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

David Nugent babbled:
> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:29:50 +0000 ()
> From: David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
> To: Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
>
> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Jerry Dunham wrote:
>
> >>  to the others using the <ctrl><Alt><f[1-3]>.  By way of note...  you
> >>  can switch back to the x console using <alt><f4>.

I tried this here this morning, and it doesn't work.  The <ctl><alt>
<F1> part worked to get me back to a text console, but then I was never
able to return to the X session.  I tried it a couple of times to make
sure I was doing as instructed, but without success.  Apparently SOME-
thing must be configured differently to make this work.

> >What's unique about console 3?  Why should I start xdm there?
>
> The X server selects the first "free" vt to run on.

Makes sense.

> > Is there some way of starting xdm there automatically upon
> > system boot?
>
> Sure. Start it from /etc/rc.local in daemon mode, or put it into
> your /etc/ttys and start it up on any vt.

So what would I put in either of those places to make it work, and
what are the relative advantages and disadvantage of the two?  I
assume that in ttys I turn ttyv3 off, but what else?

--
Jerry Dunham                 Atarian ordinaire           (512)432-8598 (O)
jdunham@fc.net                    GS650G                 (512)335-0674 (H)

                    There's no such thing as a free lunch.