Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 16:12:31 +0200
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: IA64: Back on topic

Brett Glass writes:

> The code generated by the FreeBSD project will surely be open,
> and would not be covered by an NDA by the time the CPU shipped.
> There is nothing wrong with starting early under NDA.

	PITA.  Ask NetBSD -- you can't have NDA'd code in the CVS tree.

	You limit the scope of people who can work on it (they have
	to get their hands tied too).

	Changes are hard to get reviewed.

	Since nothing is complete yet, this kind of "me too" attitude
	yet will only get you (admin cost) > (benefit cost).

> Then how can you judge it?

	Don't need to judge it, it's an NDA.

> principles of competition among replicators), you demand that others
> give up their intellectual property and market advantage just because
> you say so. Intel doesn't care about such unreasonable demands. Nor does

	He never demanded that.  You say he does.  Don't put words
	in other peoples' mouths.

	He said (paraphrase), "I don't want to have to read/submit myself
	to their NDA" != "Intel should unveil everything NOW because I want it" --
	didn't he ?