Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 13:46:45 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Jack Freelander <jack@rabbit.eng.miami.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: long filenames

On Sat, Apr 17, 1999 at 04:40:47AM -0400, Jack Freelander wrote:
> I have mounted a FAT CD which,

CD's are ISO 9660 format, not FAT.

> unfortunately, has long filenames.  Is there
> any special trick to get FreeBSD to correctly use the long filenames,
> instead of the mangled 8.3 names that Microsloth probably uses in its
> directory blocks?

AFAIK *nix can only see LFNs if the CD has Rock Ridge extensions,
which is what the TRANS.TBL files in each directory are (they
contain the 8.3 <==> LFN associations).

If the CD is intended for Win only then the chances are it won't
have LFN's. Dspite all M$'s shouting when it introduced LFNs (as
though it was something new) they still ship all their CDs (OS and
apps) with 8.3 filenames, the install progs create LFNs on the
disk.

FWIW, the driver/utilities CD that came with my Diamond Fireport
SCSI card will mount OK under FreeBSD, but ``ls'' shows nothing,
not even ``.'' and ``..''.