Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:59:53 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running large DB's on FreeBSD

--nextPart2345726.YaB8Z5l6Dc

On Monday 23 October 2006 6:01 pm, Mike Jakubik wrote:

> I'm not exactly informed as to the specific workload yet, however i know
> the database will have several million rows and be larger than 10GB.

No offense, but that's a pretty small database.  Also, IMHO the crazy part=
=20
is using MySQL over PostgreSQL.  It's hardly any faster, and you have to do=
=20
a *lot* of client-side work to emulate PostgreSQL's built-in functions. =20
Unless you use the much slower InnoDB that's now owned by Oracle, in which=
=20
case MySQL gets most of those features (but is no faster than PostgreSQL=20
would be).
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser