Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:02:12 -0600
From:      Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, Jer Buffington <jer755@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: re : ndis0

Fabian Keil wrote:

>"Jer Buffington" <jer755@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I need help with ndis. I am running 6.0, and my laptop is a gateway.
>>I have the Broadcom drivers installed into ndis, but its not showing
>>up in dmesg. I also added ndis_load and if_ndis_load
>>to /boot/loader.conf. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>Did you use ndisgen? Loading if_ndis and ndis isn't sufficient.
>You need to load the Broadcom driver module as well.
>
>Fabian

I have a Gateway 7326GZ and have my Broadcom 802.11 b/g adapter working
perfectly using ndisgen.

I had to copy my bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys files to my BSD partition and
run the following command to change the .inf file to ascii.  I will use
the "bcmwl5" in all of my examples, change the driver name to match that
of your .inf and .sys files.

iconv -c -f utf-16 -t ascii bcmwl5.inf > bcmwl5.inf.ascii

Once you have created this bcmwl5.inf.ascii file, open it in vi, go to
the very end of the file and put a newline in it.  For some reason,
ndisgen won't process it without the trailing newline.

Once you have ascii'fied the inf file and added the newline, run the
ndisgen utility and choose "Convert Driver".  It will prompt you for the
path to your .inf file and the .sys.  When it asks for the .inf file,
point the app to the .ascii file you created above.

I just followed all the defaults after the path prompts and in a few
seconds I had a bcmwl5_sys.ko kernel object that I copied to
/boot/kernel/.  I then modified my /boot/loader.conf file and added a
line that said bcmwl5_sys_load="YES".  Now it is loaded every time I
reboot and works like a champ.

I hope this helps!

Jeff Cross