Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:57:01 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Error msgs about partition/slices on multi-OS setup

At 11:48 AM -0700 7/3/00, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 02-Jul-00 Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > At 11:46 PM -0700 7/1/00, John Baldwin wrote:
> >> Could you respond and include the output of fdisk on each disk?
> >> I.e., include 'fdisk ad0' and 'fdisk ad4'.  Thanks.
> >
> > Gladly...
>
>Ok, for one thing only your first Linux partition is an
>extended partition.  The one on the second disk is a
>primary partition.  It seems that for some reason we
>are treating the Linux partition as a BSD partition.
>Do you have entries for these slices in /etc/fstab?  If
>so, are they ffs entries or ext2fs entries?

They are not mentioned in my current /etc/fstab, although
I was thinking of trying some experiments with ext2fs
entries at some later date.  Here is my current fstab:

# Device     Mountpoint	FStype	Options	Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad4s2b   none	swap	sw	0	0
/dev/ad4s2a   /		ufs	rw	1	1
/dev/ad4s2h   /Users	ufs	rw	2	2
/dev/ad4s2g   /usr	ufs	rw	2	2
/dev/ad4s2f   /var	ufs	rw	2	2
/dev/ad4s2e   /xRoot	ufs	rw,noauto	2	2
/dev/ad0s4e   /Users/vmsystems ufs	rw	2	3
/dev/da0s3h   /mnt/32/usr	ufs	rw	2	4
/dev/acd0c    /cdrom	cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc          /proc	procfs	rw		0	0
linproc       /compat/linux/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0

For what it's worth, both of the slices which are now
linux partitions were initially created as freebsd
partitions, and then re-created as linux partitions.
The linux partition on ad0 is a real live linux 6.2
install.  I'm not sure that I've done much of anything
with the linux partition on ad4 yet...

Note that I actually have three disks on this machine,
the third one being a scsi disk.  No odd messages from
that one though.  (no linux partitions on it, either).

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute