Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:24:24 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: securelevel and ipfw zero

> > > These were changes that were necessary to make ipfw readable enough that
> > > I could work with it in this area. They aren't just to clean it up, or
> > > just for change's sake. They need to stay in.
> >
> > C'mon now, re-ording the lines is *certainly* not necessary to work.
>
> That's true. I sure didn't do that.

Sure looks like you did.  There are white-space and re-ordering
modifications in the diffs you sent out.  If you didn't do them, who
did?

> > *rant on*
> > Brian, FreeBSD isn't your private playground for playing around, this is
> > a group project, and you gotta follow the rules, or you don't get to
> > play with the rest of the folks....
>
> The rules don't say "leave the code that you work with in a bigger mess than
> when you started." Cleaning up code is a fact of life, and it _NEEDS_ to be
> done to get work done, very often. You have to learn to deal with that.

No, cleanups occur *separately* from code additions.  The code is *very*
readable now, and just because you have stylistic differences doesn't
mean you get to change them because you like them.

In particular, the changes I pointed out are not 'cleanups', but style
changes.

I repeat, this isn't your personal playground.  Play by the rules or
don't play at all.

Nate