Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 18:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        craigh@bugsoft.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple install questions

> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Craig A. Heilman wrote:
> > I posted once before but I think the length of my message may have scared
> > everyone away :-).
> >
> > System:
> >   486DX2-80, 16 MB RAM
> >   520 MB IDE drive for DOS/Windoze
> >   Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller
> >   1.08 GB SCSI drive for FreeBSD
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. How does one capture boot information to file when installing FreeBSD?
>
> It's in a command called "dmesg", which you can access from the
> holographic shell (which doesn't start up until install starts).

	I heard a rumor that someone on the core team might be working
	on some enhancements to the console driver (like an option in the
	scrollback buffer to dump to a file -- or support for virtual console
	cut and paste -- similar to Linux' "selection" utility -- or preferably
	more like the old DESQview "mark and transfer" feature.

	Until then use dmesg and/or look in the /var/log/messages

> > 2. Is it a good idea to put a small (20MB?) DOS partition on the SCSI drive
> > for emergencies?
>
> It's a good idea to put one there for geometry purposes, but DOS can't
> access the FreeBSD partition.

	I highly recommend either a DOS partition or a DOS bootable floppy.
	When you have to troubleshoot a hardware problem -- that's the
	way to go (all of the major PC hardware diagnostics packages like
	CheckIt, Norton's NDIAGS, AMI DIAGS, etc are DOS programs --
	and, since DOS is just a program loader, it's significantly
	easier to isolate the problems.  Finally (more than any other reason)
	when you call a hardware support line to get an RMA or for any support
	they'll inevitably ask: "What does it do under DOS?"

> > 3. Should I use BootEasy or OSBS?
>
> >From what I understand, OSBS is more robust, but it's personal choice.

	I've heard (but have yet to test) that you can use
	LOADLIN.EXE to load a FreeBSD kernel.  This is a DOS program
	that's designed to load a Linux kernel.  Basically it can
	load a kernel regardless of where your root partition resides.
	(Otherwise you must ensure that the kernel is on a device that
	can be access by the machine's BIOS -- which is the number
	one source of FreeBSD and Linux installation problems).

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates