Date:      20 Feb 1997 02:39:55 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sbwait hang?

Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> writes:

> The file is on BSD box 1.  BSD box 1 has a modem on a serial port.
> BSD box 2 has another mode on a serial port.  BSD box 2 dials BSD
> box 1, connects via SLIP.  BSD box 2 attempts to transfer the File
> Of Death from BSD box 1.  Note that the file can come from systems
> further away (BSD box 1 is a router), the transfer will still fail.

> Other traffic, including larger files, moves fine.  This file stops
> after about 4M.

Yep, I think I know the problem... I thought I was wrong when you
mailed me that they were connected by serial ports, but now that you
mention that there are modems on the loop, it's fairly probable that
there is a sequence of bytes that need escaping (and these occur about
4Meg into the linux tar file).  The modem is probably dropping or
corrupting those bytes, and corrupting the packet (this might have
something to do with the compression software in one of the modems).
Other packets would still make it through though.

Run tcpdump on the slip interface, and that should verify what's
happening.

BTW, what brand of modems are those?

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
Support bacteria -- it's the only         | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing