Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:42:03 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Jason George <j.b.george@ieee.org>, "Thomas D. Simes" <simestd@fireweed.net>, Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Emil Mikhles <emilm@metrocon.com>, Rogier Mulhuijzen <rmulhuijzen@Transfer-Solutions.com>, Isidor Kouvelas <ikouvela@cisco.com>, Lorenzo Vicisano <lorenzo@cisco.com>, Adam Furman <afurman@amf.net>, "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@aero.und.edu>, Kevin Sheehan <kevin@planb.net.au>, Gustavo Lozano Ibarra <gus@academ02.maz.itesm.mx>, Sean Shilton <Sean.Shilton@ascend.com>, Gildas PERROT <perrot@FranceNet.fr>, Thomas Runge <runge@egd.igd.fhg.de>, "David O'Byrne" <dave@cs.ucc.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ANNOUNCE: Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet Driver

I'm pleased to announce the first test release of my FreeBSD driver for
Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet cards.  Those of you receiving this mail directly
rather than through -mobile have already expressed interest in testing and
debugging the driver -- many thanks in advance!  Please let me know if you
want to be added/removed to/from the mailing list.

The driver can be obtained from the URL:
http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott/xe-drv/xe-drv.tar.gz

This archive contains the two source files (if_xe.c and if_xereg.h) and a
very brief set of installation instructions.  I'm assuming that people are
familiar with the mechanics of building new kernels and configuring PCMCIA
cards under FreeBSD.  Let me know if you need any help.

The driver is only known to run under 3.0-RELEASE, but may well compile on
other versions -- I don't know.  It aims to support the following cards:
CE2, CEM28, CEM33, CE3 and CEM56, and certain Intel and Compaq cards using
the Xircom hardware.

All the usual disclaimers apply: this code may cause your machine to sprout
wings and fly out of your office window; you use it at your own risk.  It
(more or less) works for me on my particular setup, but YMMV.

I won't have time to do much work on the code before Wednesday (thesis
writing takes priority :), so that should give you all time to try it out
and let me know what does (or more likely doesn't) work.

Cheers,

	Scott