Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:42:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-afs@freebsd.org, jcw@highperformance.net
Subject:   Re: AFS in FreeBSD ...

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> As Robert has stated in the thread I started last week, he's willing to lend
> a hand with getting the kenrel module *as part of* the kernel, but what does
> it take to get it to that point?
>
> I just downloaded Jason's initial port attempt, but it is almost a year old:
>
>         <http://www.stradamotorsports.com/~jcw/openafs/>;
>
> Has anyone looked at the work he's done so far?  Ignoring the client side
> for now, Jason, what would it take to get your work to the point where
> Robert could inject it into the core FreeBSD system, as opposed to an 'add
> on'?  What would be involved in getting 1.5.x working?

I'm not sure there's a benefit to importing the OpenAFS server into the
FreeBSD src tree, given that it's already well-maintained and fairly
functional as a port.  The main area of potential benefit is, in fact, the
Arla client, which would then be able to track FreeBSD VFS changes, and offers
a relatively static interface to the userland components that could continue
to live in the port.

After chatting with a few of the OpenAFS folks, the current concensus is that
the OpenAFS client kernel parts are a lot more involved than the Arla ones, as
much of the cache manager is implemented there, whereas with Arla it's just a
user file system interface and so a lot less complex.

So I think the short-term plan, if the Arla folks are willing and we can get a
functional Arla module sync'd to 8-CURRENT, would be to get nnpfs into
FreeBSD's src/sys.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge