Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2005 07:21:26 +0300
From:      GreenX <freebsd@azimut-tour.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Primise and Intel RAID dont  work

      Hi PPL!

      I have a computer with parent payment ASUS P4C800E-DELUXE.

      OS FreeBSD 6.0-stable (CVS from 21.nov.2005) is established.

      It is established five hard disks:

      - One system on ICH5 ata100 Maxtor 6Y200P0

      - And four on Promise RAID 0+1 WDC WD3200J (D/B)

      All fine worked (except for em0, but also he has normally earned
   after

      updating)

      while I have not wanted to establish two more hard disks (Maxtor

      6Y080M0) on Intel in Stripe RAID.

      Hard disks have been put - the system of them has found out

      (the truth and known all bug "failed to enable memory mapping"),

      and I with them was more did than nothing (did not format, did not

      break - there was no time).

      In three days of job the system has given out me the following:

      ad4: req=0xc630f190 SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE semaphore
   timeout!!

      DANGER Will Robinson!!

      This warning has been given many times.

      And ad4 it is established on Promise!

      After reboot smartd has given out the warning

      smartd [767]: Device:/dev/ad10, 1 Currently unreadable (pending)

      sectors

      smartd [767]: Device:/dev/ad10, 26 Offline uncorrectable sectors

      (ad10 the first disk in Stripe RAID on Intel MATRIX)

      After that has made CVSUP and has put for the night rebuild the
   world.

      In the morning has seen - to warrning

      ad4: req=0xc90efd48 SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE semaphore
   timeout!!

      DANGER Will Robinson!!

      It was added:

      kern.maxfiles limit exceeded by uid 100, please see tuning (7).

      Has install the world, has spat and has disconnected these both
   HDDs

      from the controller

      (itself Matrix has remained switched on)

      Has passed three more days and yesterday has received the new
   letter:)

      kernel: DOH! ata_alloc_request failed!

      kernel: FAILURE - out of memory in ata_raid_init_request

      last message repeated 4 times

      kernel: g_vfs_done ():ar0s1d [WRITE (offset=554081878016,

      length=49152)] error = 5

      kernel: g_vfs_done ():ar0s1d [WRITE (offset=554081730560,

      length=12288)] error = 5

      kernel: g_vfs_done ():ar0s1d [WRITE (offset=554082091008,

      length=65536)] error = 5

      kernel: g_vfs_done ():ar0s1d [WRITE (offset=554081927168,

      length=16384)] error = 5

      kernel: g_vfs_done ():ar0s1d [WRITE (offset=554081943552,

      length=16384)] error = 5

      syslogd: kernel boot file is/boot/kernel/kernel

      kernel: panic: kmem_malloc (4096): kmem_map too small: 172470272
   total

      allocated

      Then has switched off also the controller, has again updated system

      and I wait some more days:)

      Immemorial Russian question - "what to make?",

      I think here it is inappropriate, and so all is clear

      Remarks on system: it is switched on HHT (ACPI, SMP) and DEVICE

      POLLING,

      the network interface em0 and Intel Matrix, both stand on one irq.

   ---------------

   Gy... That that is written above, I wrote yesterday and for a long
   time to wait it was not necessary

   In the evening the system has given out me the following:

   kernel: ar0: WARNING - mirror protection lost. RAID0+1 array in
   DEGRADED mode

   kernel: subdisk4: detached

   kernel: ad4: detached

   kernel: unknown: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left)
   LBA=73576960

   kernel: unknown: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (0 retries left)
   LBA=73576960

   After reboot the first disk on Promise appeared in a array 1, and
   other disks in array 2.

   Has changed sheduler on old 4BSD and has removed from a kernel device
   polling