Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:58:08 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@hodgsonhouse.com>
To:        Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using VINUM to do RAID-1 disk mirroring

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:37:41AM -0500, Jason Borkowsky wrote:
> I have two FreeBSD machines, both containing a pair of identical hard
> drives. I am looking to set up vinum to mirror the hard drives, and am not
> having any success. I have searched the FreeBSD archives, the vinum website,
> and other websites as well.
>
> Here is what I've found so far:
>
> Each drive needs to have the file system type changed from FreeBSD to vinum.
> I have done this no problem. (A side question I have about this is will this
> affect me if I reboot the machine or am an single user mode? What effects
> does changing the file system type have?)
>
> So now I have two drives, /dev/ad0s1 and /dev/ad2s1 (IDE devices). FreeBSD
> calls partition "c:" the complete drive, so on one drive (the drive I want
> mirrored), I have all my file partitions. On the drive I want to mirror to,
> I only have one partition, c:, which is the whole drive. Before I mirror, do
> I need to set up identical partitions? According to the man pages, it seems
> I don't have to.
>
> Now, in the man pages, under "Simplified Configuration", it states that to
> mirror a drive, all I need to do is:
>
> vinum -> mirror -v /dev/ad0s1c /dev/ad2s1c

Try:
http://www.matts.org/vinum.shtml

Keep in mind tha with vinum the mirror command doesn't specify Unix
devices (i.e. /dev/ad0s1c), it specifies vinum *drives*.

-T

--
"On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
- everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS."