Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:03:48 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@black-earth.co.uk>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disabling openssl from ports

On 3 Feb 2010, at 03:36, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> I have one port, namely /usr/ports/www/pound that needs the version of
> openssl from the ports (/usr/ports/security/openssl).
>
> But others ports works way better with the stock openssl from the
> system.

Personally, I've been using the ports version of openssl on a number of
machines, and I haven't run into the sort of problems you claim.  There
is not a lot between the ports of the base system, especially if you're
running a recent version of FreeBSD -- it's another port to manage, but
you get access to various bits of new functionality.

> Is there a configuration somewhere that could be used to say that
> no-one except pound should use openssl from the ports?
>
> The only way I see is to put includes and libarries of openssl in some
> obscure place and have pound point to them.

OK, this /should/ work.  Add the following to /etc/make.conf:

WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=	yes

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/pound}
WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=	yes
.endif

Test SSL-using executables with ldd(1) to see which copy of libcrypto they
link against.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3