Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2020 05:58:58 +0200
From:      hw <hw@adminart.net>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

On Fri, 2020-07-24 at 10:28 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
> > technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern
> > Linux?
>
> After gaining more experience using Debian systems for several months,
> I've come across several technological disadvantages of FreeBSD as a
> server (in no particular order):
>
> 1. Debian can run several versions of PHP, PostgreSQL and some other
> software simultaneously (without manual efforts with jails, chroots
> etc needed in FreeBSD for the same purpose). Just install the relevant
> packages, very convenient.
>
> 2. FreeBSD instances on AWS do not detect added EBS volumes, a reboot is
> required.
>
> 3. FreeBSD lacks a native docker (what prevents from fixing
> sysutils/docker-freebsd?). FreeBSD already has a working Linux binary
> compatibility, why can't we run Linux docker? A working docker could
> also make problems with different versions of native PHP irrelevant.
>
> 4. Zabbix templates for monitoring FreeBSD are inferior to those for
> Linux.
>
> 5. Zabbix agent2 (new generation of Zabbix agent) is not available for
> FreeBSD.
>
> 6. FreeBSD/ARM64 does not enjoy binary upgrades (freebsd-update).
>
> True, some of those disadvantages are fixable, but now the impression is
> that FreeBSD is lagging behind. The only real advantage left could be
> Root-on-ZFS and BE/bectl, but ironically it does not work in AWS (and
> with UEFI boot in general) which makes it
>
> 7. Limited UEFI support.
>
> 8. bhyve is still inferior to kvm in many aspects (ever needed to add a
> virtual disk to a running guest?).

You can add that NFS in FreeBSD is a catastrophy.  Bascially, you can only
export whole file systems with permissions applying to the whole file
system, and that practically makes NFS unusable.  That means

9. very limited NFS support in FreeBSD

Besides this, setting up NFS in FreeBSD is the opposite of user friendly.