Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:19:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net (Chris Csanady)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inline asm question..

> I am trying to create an inline asm function, and was wondering if someone
> might help.  I am getting quite frustrated with all of the cryptic gcc/as
> commands, and still have no clue as to how it translates into instructions.
>
> All I wanted to do was to make the below inline function generate the
> following code.  (It is a piece from one of Van Jacobsons mails..)  I
> realize this is for sparc, but it really doesnt matter..
>
>     /* NB - ocadd is an inline gcc assembler function */
>     cksum = ocadd(ocadd(ocadd(ocadd(cksum, seq), ack), flg), sum);

Is it an inline function, or is it a function which has been inlined?

I belive you can't inline (using the "inline" keyword) a function
with asm statements.  Use a macro definition instead to cause the
asm statements to be expanded "in line" by the preprocessor.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.