Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:24:59 -0700
From:      John Barbee <JBarbee@server5.singular.com>
To:        "'Christoph Prevezanos'" <Christoph.Prevezanos@post.uni-bielefeld.de>, mmohsin@thinc.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Doom Error

/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup
i think, haven't done it in a while

-----Original Message-----
From: Christoph Prevezanos
[mailto:Christoph.Prevezanos@post.uni-bielefeld.de]
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 1998 4:09 PM
To: mmohsin@thinc.org; freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hello!

>I installed Doom and configured Freebsd to run Linux binaries. When I
>run Doom, it loads then it gives me an error saying that it requires 256
>colors to run. I am not sure what to do. Please help.

I think you just gave the answer to yourself.
Doom only runs in 256-color mode not in 64.000 or 16.5 mio.
So just switch your X to this mode and Doom will run fine.

The easiest way to switch the screen-mode is by the graphical config-util
that comes with X.
You can start it e.g. from the menue you get with "/stand/sysinstall".

Regards,

Christoph Prevezanos, Germany