Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:52:47 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Abidan <jabidan@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot boot freebsd

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:22:58PM -0600, Jesús Abidan wrote:

> ok. the slices in freebsd are little tricky, i will check my installation
> and send some feedback later.

??  FreeBSD slices are pretty straight forward.   They are just the
name of the 4 primary divisions of a disk - limited to 4 by BIOS.
MS just calls them primary partitions instead of slices.

The major difference is how they might be subdivided.  MS does what it
calls logical partitions.  FreeBSD subdivisions are just called partitions.

The fdisk(8) utility creates slices (or primary partitions in MS, though the
FreeBSD fdisk is not very conversant with some of the new MS types so you
may be better off using something else to create primary partitions/slices
if other OSen are being accomodated).   Slices (or primary partitions) are
identified by numbers 1..4.

The bsdlabel(8) utility in FreeBSD is what subdivides a slice in to
partitions.  It used to be that it was limited to 7 real partitions
identified with letters a..h with the letter 'c' reserved to describe
the whole slice and not usable as a real partition.  Partition 'a' is
normally root mounted as '/' and partition 'b' is used as swap.  These
two (a & b) are conventions and not enforced, except that some software
may make these assumptions.    My understanding is that the newest
versions of FreeBSD (8.0) modify or remove the limit and you can have
letters above 'h' and thus more subdivisions in a slice, but I haven't
tried that yet.

In FreeBSD, to create a filesystem from a partition, you run newfs(8) on it.

////jerry