Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 11:01:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Timothy Moore <moore@wolfe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HotJava

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Timothy Moore wrote:

> Is anyone still working on porting HotJava to FreeBSD?  I see that a
> version of pthreads that supports FreeBSD has been released.  I might
> be interested in taking this on; in a previous life I was a Common
> Lisp implementor and have some appreciation of the issues.

I just looked at this new pthreads implementation and it is a bit thin.
It won't compile on FreeBSD without hacking, it doesn't address the need
for an MT-safe C library and it is infected with the GPL.

A far better pthreads implementation can be found in
sipb.mit.edu:/pub/pthreads.  This has MT-safe io, sockets, stdio and
compiles out of the box on FreeBSD and many other architectures.  The
author (Chris Provenzano) is sometimes around on this list and sometimes
threatens to merge it into FreeBSD's source tree.  Any news on that,
Chris?

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411