Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2007 07:36:02 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Snow Mountains" <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sony Ericsson: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a, 0 (repeated)

"Snow Mountains" <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I have a Sony Ericsson phone, but it isn't a USB device.
>
> Thanks Lowell for your response. Do you attach your Sony Ericsson to
> computer at all, for example if you use it as camera? Is there any
> other option, or something that can you recommend? Another cable?

I don't have any cables.  I use Bluetooth when I copy things on or off
the camera -- but I don't do that often.

>> These kinds of messages usually mean that the umass device is not
>> responding as expected to queries.  Some other Sony devices (cameras)
>> seem to have extra padding requirements; you could try adding a quirk
>> to the code for the umass device driver.  To look more deeply, you
>> would need someone with a decent knowledge of the USB protocols.
>
> Can you help me about what text I should add (in umass.c??) I mean,
> how to add quirk just for this specific phone? Sorry, but this is far
> away from my knowledge but I would like to try. I know how to
> recompile kernel and test it.

I was just suggesting making a copy of one of the entries and
replacing the vendor and device IDs with the ones for your device
(which you can get from usbdevs(8)).  You could look up the FreeBSD
developers who have worked on umass.c and ask one of them for help...

Good luck, and sorry I haven't time to help more at the moment.