Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:07:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ed Kern <dag@dag.net>
To:        Charlotte Caldwell <charlotte@williamsmcbride.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREE BSD Technical question

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Charlotte Caldwell wrote:

> When  a user sends mail through our SMTP their return address shows up as
> our url!
> (i.e., char@freebsdsmtpserver.com--instead of char@replytochar.com. She
> still gets the
> mail when people reply to the "char@freebsd...", but the address is not her
> own!)
>
> How do I get a users url to show up as the reply to address? (Your site
> looks to be very
> comprehensive but I'm a beginner and most of this is greek to me!!)

Provided that her email client is using her domain in the From: header,
you'll want to investigate masquerading in sendmail.  (You'll also want to
investigate anti-relay stuff if you haven't, too, or you'll eventually get
hijacked by a spammer, which is not cool :> ).

There's a good FAQ/HOWTO for virtual hosting email at
http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html.  It should start you off in
the right direction (although playing with sendmail files can appear scary
at first..  don't be intimidated.. :> )

Hope this helps!

Ed.