Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:05:24 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Jeffrey Smith <jeffrey.smith@futurecis.com>,  freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update on jails

Jeffrey Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 01:54 +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>>Jeffrey Smith wrote:
>>

>>>  I previously posted a howto to use zfs to manage jails.  The first
>>>update through freebsd-update has been released.  Testing this I get
>>>
>>>(in jail)
>>>ldap1#freebsd-update install
>>>Installing updates...chflags: ///usr/lib/libssh.a: Operation not
>>>supported
>>>
>>>After this error I enabled chflags in sysctl on the host system
>>>#sysctl security.jail.chflags_allowed=1
>>>
>>>This did not not work in fixing the issue
>>>after reading the freebsd-update man page I thought this should be
>>>possible
>>>
>>>#freebsd-update -b /jails/ldap1/ -d /jails/ldap1/var/db/freebsd-update/
>>>\ install
>>>Installing updates...chflags: /jails/ldap1///usr/lib/libssh.a: Operation
>>>not supported
>>>
>>>But I still get that same error.  Does anyone have any idea what would
>>>keep this from working?  If there is a way to update the host and all
>>>subsequent jails vi the host that would be great, as i would prefer not
>>>to allow chflags from within the jails.
>>
>>Can you tell me your FreeBSD version?
>>I am convinced that I did freebsd-update inside Jail on FreeBSD 6.2, but
>>I am not 100% sure and did not test it on FreeBSD 7.
>>Are you trying update (minor security updates) or upgrade to newer
>>release version? Maybe I was in luck, that my update routine did not
>>change any chflagged files.
>>
>>Miroslav Lachman
>

> FreeBSD xxxxx.yyyyyyy.com 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun
> Feb 24 10:35:36 UTC 2008
> root@driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Hmmm... can you show your `mount` output? Do you have jails on NFS
exported fs, or plain ufs?

As a quick & dirty hack, you can try sysinstall batch:

sysinstall _ftpPath=ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/
nonInteractive=yes mediaSetFTP releaseName=7.0-RELEASE dists=base
distSetCustom installRoot=/jails/ldap1/ installCommit

or better tuned sysinstall command to not install new base, but do
binary upgrade. [add function "installUpgrade" in to sysinstall command]

(I did not tried this way, so let me know if it works for you)

Miroslav Lachman