Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 21:27:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: changes to /etc/csh.*

As Thomas Graichen wrote:

> : I could live with /etc/ttys being built from /etc/ttys.in during
> : /etc/rc time.  This would also solve the ``run getty on
> : /dev/console?'' problem, or the problems of getty respawning too
> : rapidly if neither syscons nor pcvt have been found at all.

> ok - but this is your own hack ?

Not yet there (and i probably don't need it either -- i don't use
syscons :).

> - how about integrating it into the main tree - i think there
> shoudn't be any changes in /etc/ttys or whatever required if you
> want to change the consolte type in the kernel

The console type is not even necessarily (statically) changed in the
kernel, remember the boot -h.  It changes rather seldom anyway, that's
why i'm opposing to make the decision at .profile/.login time.

/etc/ttys should also easily catch up with the situation that suddenly
the graphics console is entirely removed (or being reconfigured so
that less vty's are available).  By now, this situation is rather
fatal, i.e. init is trying to spawn many getty's over and over again.

I don't have a universal solution handy.

--
cheers, J"org