Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:54:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        ryanm <ryanm@accn.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: chroot ftp

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, ryanm wrote:

> Is there a way to confgiure WU FTP to chroot to a user's home directory
> upon logging in?? I do not want users to be able to go through my
> directory structures and d/l files. If anyone can mail me back links
> on doing this I would appreciate it greatly.

Why not do it with the supplied ftpd??

>From 'man ftpd':

    5.   If the user name appears in the file /etc/ftpchroot, or the
    user is a member of a group with a group entry in this file,
    i.e. one prefixed with `@', the session's root will be changed
    to the user's login directory by chroot(2) as for an
    ``anonymous'' or ``ftp'' account (see next item).  This facil-
    ity may also be triggered by enabling the boolean "ftp-chroot"
    capability in login.conf(5).  However, the user must still
    supply a password.  This feature is intended as a compromise
    between a fully anonymous account and a fully privileged ac-
    count.  The account should also be set up as for an anonymous
    account.

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas