Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 13:24:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa/snd CARDS README ad1848.c dmabuf.c mss.h sb_dsp.c sbcard.h sound.c sound.h

> > the vibra16x uses two 8-bit DMA channels, the older sb (incl.SB32 i
> > think) uses one 8-bit and one 16-bit channel.
>
> I meant from a driver/configuration standpoint.

the driver has slightly different code paths for the two cards,
the configuration with PnP should be automatic unless you have
something hardwired in kernel.config which tries to set the wrong
parameters for the vibra16x.

As a matter of fact, kernel config info should be done using PnP IDs
and not CSN but for the average user with only one PnP card the CSN
approach is easier (PnP IDs are not readily available or self
explicative).

> OK. I have a line for my SB32 in /kernel.config, I'll check to see if
> it differs.

i bet this is the problem. the same line cannot possibly work for both
SB32 and Vibra16X

	luigi