Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:07:55 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-PRERELEASE FAILING!!

* Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl> [20020919 15:49]: wrote:

> On 2002-09-19 at 14:20:39 Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> OW> The first clue I have about all this is that I realized that mysql-server.sh
> OW> refused to start. When I attempted to start it manually the system complained that
> OW> there was "&&" that was unexpected. So I am wondering whether the syntax for /bin/sh
> OW> has changed??? There has never been a probem with these scripts before. They cannot
> OW> all develop a problem at once, and furthermore they are the default startup scripts
> OW> that come with apps installed from the ports.
>
> Please see this thread for more information:
> http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=%2Fbin%2Fsh+changed%3F&list=152

Thank you for this.

> In short, the shell script construction:
>
>   run_a_deamon & && echo "deamon started"
>
> is no longer supported, since it didn't make any sense in the first
> place. :)

I see.

> It might help to simply reinstall the port(s) that put scripts in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d, because these scripts should be updated by now,
> to support the changes in /bin/sh.

Hoping that the port maintainers are all up to date with the info, that is.
I'll look at that option in a few minutes.

> I fear this is going to be a FAQ when 4.7 hits the streets... Wouldn't
> this be a good entry for the /usr/src/UPDATING file? :)

I normally read the /usr/src/UPDATING before doing any builds but I did not
see anything and was later to get this shcok.

Thank you so much

-Wash

S y s t e m s   A d m i n i s t r a t o r
--

Odhiambo Washington		Wananchi Online Ltd

Four be the things I'd been better without:
Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.

Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.

Three be the things I shall have till I die:
Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye.