Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 00:20:08 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Jim Bayers <bayers@yahoo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Fails to Boot.  Errors out On MySQL

Jim Bayers wrote:

> I have a remote freebsd server.  I successfully did a
> buildworld, compiled the kernel and installed it.
> There were no errors.
>
> When I rebooted, it didn't come back up.
>
> A technician there--its a dedicated server--tried to
> 'boot kernel.old' and couldn't.  He's getting the
> message:
>
> "starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> /var/db/mysql".
>
> And it hangs.

	You need to get the system into single user mode, (use boot -s) then:

fsck -p
mount -a -t nonfs
cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
for file in *; do
mv $file $file.dont
done

then 'exit'

Once the system comes up multiuser, diagnose and fix mysql problems. For
future reference, ALWAYS disable startup scripts for third party stuff
before _starting_ the upgrade. This is especially true for remote upgrades.

Good luck,

Doug