Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:35:11 -0700
From:      Yimin Hsiao <yihsiao@ucsd.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Several Questions

Hi, guys,
	Can you please answer the following questions for me?  Thanx in advance.

1. My Xwindows doesn't seem as colorful as my Windows NT.  I selected the right X Server (S3 Virge) during installation.  Is it possible that the Xserver is not using the full capability of my graphics card, which can display up to approximately one billion colors.  Where can I change the setting for color for X?  Is it in .xinitrc?

2. I have a 3.8 Gig harddrive and all of that was in one big partition for my Windows NT before I installed FreeBSD.  Then I created a new slice of ~1.6 Gig for FreeBSD partitions (the /, /usr, /tmp, etc).  Now I kind of changed my mind and want to have a smaller slice devoted to FreeBSD.  But even though I can create a smaller slice for FreeBSD, there will be a third slice left.  How do I "add" that third slice to my Win NT's FAT partition?  I know that FreeBSD installation comes with an utility to slice up a partition without destroying data, but can it do the reverse - add an empty slice back to a partion?  Or do I need a software like Partition Magic to do it?

3.  I just installed lesstif.  Is lesstif just a Motif-compatible library, or is it also a window manager?  If it is a window manager, how do I use it for my X?

Yimin Hsiao
3rd Year Computer Engineering student at
University of California, San Diego