Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 16:49:08 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Charles Youse <cyouse@paradox.nexuslabs.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic: Out of mbuf clusters

> Perhaps, then, it would be best to monitor the number of free clusters
> and when it hits a low watermark, to allocate more - perhaps by flagging
> an AST to obviate allocating clusters from within an interrupt context.

This sounds nice until I ask you how you plan to deal with an interrupt
storm.  8(

At some point, you need to decide what to do when you run out of
resources.  Just "allocating from a larger pool" has other, massive
shortcomings; it allows the networking stack to tie up resources that may
be needed by other parts of the system (look at the current discussion
inre: massive resource overconsumption by the softupdates code for a
contrasting example).

Right now, the mbuf management code simply bails out when things get too
hard, and most of the code that calls it doesn't deal with that very
well.  Improving the state of play is a slow process that doesn't lend
itself well to 10-minute back-of-the-envelope suggestions (no offence
meant).