Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:57:51 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent IO performance

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:33:57 +0800
> From: TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
>
> > The deviation in your disk I/O isn't a major surprise (to me anyway),
> > given the system specs.  What *does* surprise me is your abysmal I/O
> > speeds in general.  18MB/sec min, 24MB/sec max?!  ICH6-M can do a lot
> > more than that.  Something isn't right.
> >

> it's possible that the hw is...suboptimal. From a 2005 post,
>
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13036&start=0
>
> Check out the link to the hddbenchmark,
> http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6430/hddbenchmark1no.jpg

Thanks, TJ! I guess the disk IO on these boxes simply sucks. Looks like
the 34.75MB/sec sequential read speed is all I can hope for. I'm
guessing the SATA-PATA converter is to blame. Oh, well.

But all of this does not address my real question, why is performance so
inconsistent? I agree that it sucks, but that does not explain why it
suck so much worse on one run than another. I'm still baffled.

My backup disk normally odes not leave my office storage cabinet except
when it is in the computer being written, so I don't have it handy
ATM. I will try a couple of things on Monday, though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)