Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:58:47 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        James <jamesh@lanl.gov>
Cc:        Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Failing Disk Problem

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:16:46PM +0000, James wrote:
> > rsync is too high-level, and may not do exactly the right thing with=20
> > links or sparse files or who knows what.=20
>=20
> rsync -cav takes cares of symlinks and all that just right. It's a
> beautiful thing.
>=20
> Checksumming, too. Ah, bliss.

It doesn't necessarily do the right thing with flags, acls and other
extended attributes,

> >  dd is too low-level--you get=20
> > the same partition table/bsdlabel and the exact same slice/partition=20
> > sizes.  That's okay on an identical hard drive, but a pain on one that'=
s=20
> > larger.
> > dump, on the other hand, is just right.

> If the file names on the drive change during the dump, corruption can
> occur. At least on linux. I remember Torvalds ranting about it on a
> mailing list. I imagine FreeBSD suffers the same issue, though, as it's
> a pretty generic problem.

For starters, you should _never_ dump a live filesystem. What you can do is
dump a snapshot of a live filesystem, using dumps '-L' option, because a
snapshot is like a frozen image of the filesystem; it doesn't change.

Dump & restore is the best way to move data and all attributes to a
larger disk. See =A79.2 of the FAQ.

Roland
--=20

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp